Reporting to the Program Manager, the Underwriter is responsible for examining, reviewing and evaluating the information provided by applicants, assessing the homeowner’s risk profile and making an informed lending recommendation in accordance with lending program policies and procedures. The Underwriter is a full time, exempt position. The underwriter will also work with senior underwriting compliance staff to ensure the accuracy of all lending decisions. The current lending program is a loan fund dedicated to assisting New York State homeowners who are currently at risk of foreclosure.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collect and analyze financial and related data in order to determine the general eligibility of the client and the necessity of the specific loan request.
- Ensure that applicant files are complete with updated required supporting documentation, such as mortgage data, business financial statements, personal financial statements, taxes, collateral listings, titles, liens, etc.
- The underwriter shall review the loan application and verify data in the loan submission package.
- Attend regularly scheduled pipeline meetings to discuss status of loans and actions to be taken.
- The underwriter shall ensure that the quality of loans conforms to government regulations and program standards.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in finance, accounting or related fields.
- Experience with mortgage default intervention or loss mitigation, preferred.
- At least 1-3 years of experience working with residential mortgage lending, community development finance, mortgage servicing, foreclosure prevention gap loan programs or government programs administration.
- Experience with residential mortgage underwriting preferred.
- High level of proficiency with Word and Excel is required. Experience with Salesforce and Bytepro is a plus.
- Excellent attention to detail with strong verbal and written communication skills .
- Ability to make credit recommendations with a thorough understanding of credit and an ability to review complex financial documents.
- This position requires strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and handle high work volumes.
- Capacity to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to prioritize multiple competing tasks and manage time effectively in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining sound lending judgment.
- Passionate about helping homeowners keep their homes
- Thorough working knowledge of and ability to analyze credit reports, income documentation, assets, liabilities, property appraisals, and title reports, to insure loans meet program standards.
Additional Application InstructionsTo apply for this position, please submit your cover letter with salary requirements and resume through our website at https://cnycn.bamboohr.com/jobs/. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicant review will continue until the position is filled. The Center strongly encourages Section 3 residents to participate in this hiring effort. Information to determine if you are a Section 3 resident can be obtained by contacting Michael Hartwyk at (646) 786-0882 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Persons requiring reasonable accommodation to participate in this hiring effort are requested to contact Michael Hartwyk at (646) 786-0882 or by email at email@example.com.
Mortgage Closing SpecialistCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 21
UnderwriterCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 20
Scheduler / Community Liaison for Assemblymember Jo Anne SimonAssemblymember Jo Anne SimonNew York CityApr 19
Client Care CoordinatorWest End Residences HDFC, Inc.New York CityApr 19
More from Center for NYC Neighborhoods
Program Associate - Homeowner HubCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 06
Bilingual Program Associate - Homeowner HubCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 06
Program Associate - Temporary HousingCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 06
Administrative Assistant - ReceptionCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityMar 24