Deputy Press Secretary
Office of Communications & Marketing/Legislative Affairs
Deputy Press Secretary
Administrative Public Information Specialist M1
The Office of Communications and Marketing is hiring for a Deputy Press Secretary who will assist with monitoring and responding to media inquiries regarding the Department of Homeless Services (DHS), gathering relevant background information and drafting statements in a timely fashion. The Deputy Press Secretary will also assist with planning, pitching and executing media events, coordinating with other city agencies and external partners as necessary and drafting communications materials, press releases and advisories, and reports to City Hall; will be responsible for wider communications duties, including the development and writing of internal and external communications on the goals, work and mission of DHS as well as press releases and advisories, reports to City Hall.
Reporting to the Press Secretary, the Deputy Press Secretary will:
• Draft media advisories, press releases and other communications products by gathering
and analyzing policy information and current data from relevant agency experts.
• Implement edits and revisions throughout drafting and obtaining appropriate reviews
• Manage rapid response communication tasks and ensure information that is
disseminated to the public is accurate and aligned with agency and administration goals
• Plan and staff press events, including collaboration with external partners, development
of event or initiative messaging, coordination with DHS staff and execution of a successful
New York City local reporter pitch strategy.
• Effectively communicate with media contacts such as editors, reporters, interviewers,
researchers, etc. for television, radio, newspapers and magazines, and respond to their
inquiries within requested or negotiated deadlines.
• Communicates with the Mayor’s press office and press staff members across City
• Researches and updates media lists, manages media database and distributes DHS
1. A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with 24 credits in English, journalism or public relations, plus five (5) years of full-time paid experience in public relations, journalism or advertising, including two (2) years in an administrative, supervisory or consultative capacity; or
2. A combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" above. Graduate study in English, journalism, or public relations may be substituted for up to one year of required experience. However, all candidates must have at least two (2) years of administrative, supervisory, or consultative experience in public relations, journalism or advertising.
- Education and/or experience in journalism, public relations and/or advertising.
- Experience in coordinating public information activities.
- Ability to establish relationships with agency heads, key personnel within agencies and with representatives of the various media in order to coordinate and disseminate information necessary for the effective functioning of agency programs and missions.
- Strong ability to research, analyze and condense complicated data and information.
- Comprehensive understanding of NYC government.
- Experience working with NYC community based newspapers.
- Experience in/knowledge of photography and related equipment.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Salary Range: $54,643 - $76,000 (Annual)
New York City offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package.
For consideration, please go to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov and search for Job ID #285258 to apply.
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW.
HRA/DSS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Mortgage Closing SpecialistCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 21
Underwriting Compliance AnalystCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 20
UnderwriterCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 20
Scheduler / Community Liaison for Assemblymember Jo Anne SimonAssemblymember Jo Anne SimonNew York CityApr 19
Client Care CoordinatorWest End Residences HDFC, Inc.New York CityApr 19
Communications Director or Press SecretaryTodd Shapiro Associates Public RelationsNew York CityMar 23
Mortgage Closing SpecialistCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityMar 23
Communications AssociateOpen PrimariesNew York CityApr 06
Policy CoordinatorDrug Policy AllianceWestern New YorkApr 06
Deputy Press SecretaryNYC Human Resources AdministrationNew York CityApr 12