Open Primaries seeks a skilled, results-driven and versatile Communications Associate to implement external and internal media and communications strategies to inform and influence key audiences on primary reform issues and promote Open Primaries and its leadership.
The Communications Associate will foster stronger partnerships and relationships through the media for Open Primaries, produce materials, including newsletters, fact sheets, and testimonials, develop a media database, respond to media requests, and proactively pitch stories to media outlets. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, the Communications Associate will handle day-to-day media relations on a wide range of Open Primaries projects and issues.
Specific tasks and responsibilities include:
- Pitch reporters to proactively promote Open Primaries, its initiatives, and its positions in a range of media outlets.
- Respond to inquiries from reporters in order to advance Open Primaries, its initiatives, and its positions.
- Create and maintain a database/comprehensive list of reporters/media outlets and build and maintain relationships with key journalists.
- Track and report on media program results (articles, impressions etc.)
- Help develop and maintain all public relations and media materials including newsletters, press releases, testimonials and related items
- Help define media objectives, develop strategy and lead program execution to build target audience awareness
- Secure and prepare senior staff and spokespeople for interviews, media events and public speaking engagements
- Participate fully in brainstorming and planning sessions on Open Primaries communications work. Identify and share innovative new ideas for promoting Open Primaries, its initiatives, and its positions.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- BA or BS required, plus related college courses or professional training.
- At least four years of work experience, preferably with some experience in non-profit or government communications.
- Comprehensive knowledge of media relations obtained through substantial experience in shaping and carrying out media strategies and working closely with members of the national and local media (including print, online, blogs, and broadcast).
- A commitment to the goals of Open Primaries.
- Excellent communication skills. Highly articulate. Able to speak, write, and edit proficiently and quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be self-motivated and be able to initiate ideas and projects.
This is a full-time position in our New York City headquarters. Open Primaries offers competitive compensation and a benefits package.
Additional Application InstructionsPlease send your resume and cover letter
Mortgage Closing SpecialistCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 21
Underwriting Compliance AnalystCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 20
UnderwriterCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 20
Scheduler / Community Liaison for Assemblymember Jo Anne SimonAssemblymember Jo Anne SimonNew York CityApr 19
Client Care CoordinatorWest End Residences HDFC, Inc.New York CityApr 19
Communications Director or Press SecretaryTodd Shapiro Associates Public RelationsNew York CityMar 23
Director of Communications and Digital MediaPHINew York CityApr 19
Program Associate - Temporary HousingCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 06
Program Associate - Homeowner HubCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 06
Bilingual Program Associate - Homeowner HubCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityApr 06