Director of Development
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a passionate, dynamic, and experienced Director of Development with a proven track record of successfully augmenting the resources of an organization. The Director will be responsible for developing and proactively leading all of the organization's unrestricted and strategic fundraising, and for helping forge new relationships to expand IPA's visibility, broaden its donor base and financial resources, and promote the organization's impact.
IPA is a research and policy non-profit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world's poor.
Our theory of change addresses two problems we see in the world: that there is limited evidence on what works to help the poor, and that the evidence that does exist is often unused by those who create and run programs for the poor. This leads to programs that are either ineffective or not as effective as they could be, and often, to wasted money and enduring poverty. Imagine if the trillions of dollars spent on aid in the past fifty years went to programs that had a tangible, cost-effective impact. IPA exists to make this vision a reality. By designing and evaluating potential solutions to global poverty problems and supporting decision-makers to use this evidence, IPA is helping to create better programs and policies, and ultimately, is building a world with more evidence and less poverty.
For more information, please visit http://www.poverty-action.org.
The Director will build on existing infrastructure and a strong donor base to grow IPA's unrestricted funding and raise capital for strategic initiatives. Specific components of this work will involve the direct solicitation of major gifts, the planning and execution of fundraising events, and the pipeline planning of a large portfolio of contributors stewarded personally or by other senior staff or direct reports. S/he will also work in close collaboration with the global policy and communications team to craft marketing materials for the donor audience and to promote, enhance, and protect the organization's brand.
The Director of Development will report to and work in close partnership with the Executive Director. S/he will engage with a team of senior staff around the world to increase IPA's resources, and will work closely with the Board of Directors (especially the Board Development Committee) as they continue to grow their role in IPA's unrestricted fundraising.
The Director of Development's responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Develop and Implement IPA's Fundraising Strategy
- Working closely with the Executive Director, the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer, and the Board Development Committee, establish and achieve short- and long-term goals for significantly increasing unrestricted and new strategic activity funding from the existing $4 million annually
- Collaborate with senior staff to develop proposals for core organizational funding as well as strategic initiatives
- Participate in and support special projects and events
Board of Directors Liaison
- Work with Board members to identify prospective donors and oversee strategies for involving the Board in donor cultivation and solicitation
- Serve as staff liaison for the Board Development Committee and work closely with the Committee Chair to motivate, guide, and support the Committee's work
- Attend quarterly Board meetings on the phone or in-person and provide progress reports on fundraising events and activities; provide other reports and statements as requested
Professional and Systems Development
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the development function, including budgeting, planning, and staff development
- Leverage and build capacity of other senior staff to steward relationships with donors and funders
- Develop and execute an approach to track relationship KPI's and progress against unrestricted and strategic fundraising in our current Salesforce systems
The ideal candidate is passionate about IPA's mission, is a strategic thinker, possesses exceptional interpersonal skills, and has outstanding written and verbal communications abilities. S/he also has a keen understanding of the philanthropic funding landscape, experience in international development, and a proven track record of closing deals with donors.
Desired qualifications include the following:
Skills and Experiences
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is an asset
- 10+ years of professional experience in a development function (experience running capital campaigns, success fundraising from multiple donor channels and sources)
Molly Brennan and Liz Lombard of Koya Leadership Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/x7h6m8cmt2
Cranes & Derricks InspectorNYC Department of BuildingsNew York CityFeb 24
Contracts AssociateNYC Department of Parks & RecreationNew York CityFeb 24
HASU PROJECT LEADNYC Human Resources Administration - Public Engagement UnitNew York CityFeb 24
Health Policy Analyst / Community LiaisonState Senator Liz KruegerNew York CityFeb 24
Research and Policy AnalystNYC Human Resources Administration - Public Engagement UnitNew York CityFeb 23
Special Assistant for Economic Development, Office of the Queens Borough PresidentOffice of the Queens Borough PresidentNew York CityFeb 13
Associate Director, Policy & Portfolio AnalyticsNew York City Housing Development Corporation (HDC)New York CityFeb 15
Government Relations Account ExecutiveGeto & de Milly, Inc.New York CityFeb 16
Senior Editor/WriterAlliance for Downtown New York, Inc.New York CityFeb 06
Loan Application ProcessorCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityFeb 03