Senior Director for External Affairs and Advocacy
Primary Care Development Corporation (PCDC): Catalyzing Excellence in Primary Care
Quality primary care is transformative and a cornerstone of healthy, thriving communities. PCDC catalyzes excellence in primary care through strategic community investment, capacity building, and policy initiatives to achieve health equity. PCDC is a national community development financial institution (CDFI), with a 24 year history of investing in communities and providing technical assistance to improve health care and the health of the community. PCDC works with primary care providers, policymakers, industry leaders, and other advocates to advance polices that increase access to quality primary care, enabling it to more successfully improve health outcomes, reduce costs and improve health equity. Our key policy priorities include strengthening the primary care delivery system, expanding and sustaining primary care investment and supporting healthy communities.
PCDC is seeking an executive-level Senior Director for External Affairs and Advocacy to provide leadership and strategic perspective to PCDC in the areas of external affairs, advocacy, and communications. This is a varied, fast-paced career opportunity that will lead PCDC to have a strong and vibrant primary care and community development presence locally, regionally and nationally. This position will lead all communications, website and external affairs in collaboration with PCDC’s senior leadership and other staff; identify, develop, prioritize and execute strategies to reach and engage key target audiences including policy makers and influencers, government officials, corporate leaders, and others; shape messages in support of PCDC’s strategic goals; and establish plans, goals, metrics and assessment tools to evaluate success of strategic communications and external affairs activities.
This position will report directly to the CEO, and will manage a team of 4, including a Director of Communications.
- Lead efforts to identify policy, advocacy and communication priorities and facilitate decision making, develop strategy and execute in a timely and effective manner.
- Direct strategies and activities that support PCDC’s business objectives and policy initiatives, promote PCDC’s visibility, build a strong company image, and increase public awareness of company’s commitment to the primary care and community development sector. Lead message development, media relations and branding efforts.
- Establish, build and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with elected officials, community leaders, not-for-profit organizations, corporate partners, and other external constituencies.
- Directly lobby, and serve as organization’s chief point of contact with federal, state and local elected and appointed officials, particularly with respect to legislative and executive budgetary processes.
- Engage in proactive outreach by identifying key opportunities, writing and editing news releases, press advisories, fact sheets, backgrounders, “pitches” to media, and providing information in a variety of formats for PCDC’s website and social media outlets.
- Oversee the development, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including but not limited to PCDC’s website, social media outlets, newsletters, brochures, and reports. Plan for and facilitate earned media and social media coverage of PCDC’s initiatives and activities.
- Serve as a key member of PCDC’s senior management team, participating in the development and implementation of policies, strategy, short- and long-term planning, and financial and operational goals and objectives; Work closely with senior managers to ensure the flow of relevant information and encourage effective coordination between and among teams.
- Work with colleagues to plan and coordinate PCDC’s participation in public forums, among national coalition partners, at conferences, and in the media; engage consistently with a range of external audiences to promote PCDC’s agenda.
- Lead in a fiscally sound manner; develop organizational budgets in tandem with the Finance team; approve and monitor program expenses. Track and evaluate policy, advocacy and communications and activities.
- Supervise, mentor and evaluate staff, consultants and interns.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of relevant work experience, preferably with public health, primary care and/or community development focus
- Experience with legislative budgetary processes, preferably in New York City and/or New York State
- Masters’ in Public Health or Policy, or Business Administration preferred
- Superb relationship-building skills
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communications skills and a demonstrated ability to apply these skills to the development of effective communications and external affairs strategy
- Demonstrated ability to pay persistent attention to detail, while maintaining an overall view/long term vision
- Supervisory experience, with demonstrated ability to delegate, provide direction, and oversee others’ work
- Substantial knowledge about key social media platforms
- Other key skills include: Diplomatic; able to work in a fast-paced environment with a wide variety of staff, board members and external partners; self-starter; excellent research abilities; able to work independently and in teams.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint, Outlook and Word. WordPress expertise strongly preferred.
Additional Application InstructionsFor immediate consideration, please email your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com with “Senior Director for External Affairs & Advocacy" in the subject line. Primary Care Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Cranes & Derricks InspectorNYC Department of BuildingsNew York CityFeb 24
Contracts AssociateNYC Department of Parks & RecreationNew York CityFeb 24
HASU PROJECT LEADNYC Human Resources Administration - Public Engagement UnitNew York CityFeb 24
Health Policy Analyst / Community LiaisonState Senator Liz KruegerNew York CityFeb 24
Research and Policy AnalystNYC Human Resources Administration - Public Engagement UnitNew York CityFeb 23
Associate Director, Policy & Portfolio AnalyticsNew York City Housing Development Corporation (HDC)New York CityFeb 15
Senior Editor/WriterAlliance for Downtown New York, Inc.New York CityFeb 06
Loan Application ProcessorCenter for NYC NeighborhoodsNew York CityFeb 03
Special Assistant for Economic Development, Office of the Queens Borough PresidentOffice of the Queens Borough PresidentNew York CityFeb 13
Government Relations Account ExecutiveGeto & de Milly, Inc.New York CityFeb 16